Thanks Thanks:  0
Needs Pictures Needs Pictures:  0
Picture(s) thanks Picture(s) thanks:  0
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Default Grinder set up jig

I would like to make a bench grinder tool rest that is adjustable and made from steel like the one Mike Mahoney features in [ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4m8-8MNhpvY"]www.youtube.com/watch?v=4m8-8MNhpvY[/ame]

I like the sliding action of the rest and it must be adjustable. Main concerns are that is needs to be in the one plane so that consistent grinds are achieved. I have looked for plans on the net and not been able to find anything similar to the one Mike uses or others use such as Stu in Tokyo. If anyone has any plans or pointers so that I don't waste time making something less than useful I would appreciate that.

2. # ADS
    Google Adsense Advertisement

Have a look at TTIT's website. He has a pretty useful looking setup... There's aren't any plans, but I don't think it would be terribly hard to nut it out..

http://www.ttit.id.au/gadgets/gadgets.htm#Sharpening

cheers,
    Dave
    ...but together with the coffee civility flowed back into him
    Patrick O'Brian, Treason's Harbour

G'Day Tiger! (always wanted to say that) I have just finished making one for myself, haven't quite finished mounting it in place yet. They are telescopic and angle adjustments are infinite, also made a gouge grinding jig which is interchangeable with the angled tool rests. Hope this helps.
    Make something idiot proof, and they make a better idiot.

Thanks, Dave I hadn't seen TTIT's set-up, like the skew chisel jig but the adjustable tool rest looks like too much work for me , hope for something easy and quick.

Thanks, Bagmann, nice work, your adjustable tool rest looks like just the ticket, have you made the toolrest to accomodate particular tools as it looks like it could handle just about any situation that might come up?

not made to any spec, although the toolrest may be a little wide (100mm) for some of my shorter skew chisels, but they are way better than what came with the grinder.

Thanks again Bagmann, just one more question, what thickness did you use for the arms of the tool rest ? I did make a tool rest some time ago with 1.5 mm thick mild steel and it vibrated too much. Yours looks like at least 3 mm and what are the dimensions of your tubular steel?

The Housing is 30X30X2 mm
    The sliding arm is 25X25X1.6mm
    The small arms that hold the tool rest section are 20X5mm (about 120mm long i think)

anything else, please don't be afraid to ask

Cheers

Thanks again Bagmann.

In the last two days I have seen some really nicely designed grinding setups, TTIT's and Bagman's. I reckon some of the designs should be in the Best of the Best area. Nice work fellas, you have given me a fair bit of info to scratch my brain with

(readers - don't forget you can rate the thread)

Quote Originally Posted by Bagmann View Post
    The Housing is 30X30X2 mm
    The sliding arm is 25X25X1.6mm
    The small arms that hold the tool rest section are 20X5mm (about 120mm long i think)

anything else, please don't be afraid to ask

Cheers
    Have you any idea what the total cost was? Do you feel like making a few more?
    I know you believe you understand what you think I wrote, but I'm not sure you realize that what you just read is not what I meant.

Regards, Woodwould.

Quote Originally Posted by Woodwould View Post
    Have you any idea what the total cost was? Do you feel like making a few more?

total cost of the steel was a bit under $35, + paint + bolts + knobs (I made my own from ply, but can tell you where to buy them if you need). So total cost would be around $45. Since my welding is somewhere between terrible & shocking I had to enlist the help of my brother-in-law, otherwise I would be glad to make some more.
    If I get enough requests I will draw up the plans & post them.

Thanks Bagmann. I have plans for one, but I don't have a metal shop any more. I'll wait and see if there's any more interest in yours and if you make a few.
    I know you believe you understand what you think I wrote, but I'm not sure you realize that what you just read is not what I meant.

Regards, Woodwould.

Quote Originally Posted by Groggy View Post
    In the last two days I have seen some really nicely designed grinding setups, TTIT's and Bagman's. I reckon some of the designs should be in the Best of the Best area. Nice work fellas, you have given me a fair bit of info to scratch my brain with

(readers - don't forget you can rate the thread)
    Couldn't agree more, clever set-ups and they should be acknowledged accordingly. I've had a go at making up a grinding set-up and it's a lot more difficult than it looks.

Quote Originally Posted by Woodwould View Post
    Thanks Bagmann. I have plans for one, but I don't have a metal shop any more. I'll wait and see if there's any more interest in yours and if you make a few.
    The one I made years ago was just offcuts of timber. It is pretty straightforward with a few routed slots. Mind you, it is not as attractive as Bagmann's...

However, the key is that it works. I would think that if you need a super-strong steel support then you may be doing something wrong...

Cam
    <Insert witty remark here>

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast